The Staff Accountant and the Salary Staff Accountant
The staff accountant is one of the most important figures in the entire operations of the organization. It is really important that the person chosen to perform the duties of the staff accountant is the one with a high level of honesty as well as integrity.
A staff accountant is generally responsible for the following responsibilities:
- He has to assist with the reconciliations of the general ledger
- He is supposed to prepare the reconciliation
- He has to perform the general accounting as well as grant support
- He might also be required to maintain files and perform administrative tasks
- He also has to take care of the journal entries
In an organization that is big in size the staff accountant might have to perform the following duties:
- All the journal entries are made by him regarding the opening as well as closing of the WIP accounts
- He might also have to maintain a schedule of the fixed assets in the accounting systems
- He has to review all the entries to the fixed assets in order to ensure accuracy as well as depreciation periods
- He might also be required to work in synergy with the IT department to maintain the correct accounting of the fixed assets for the technology purposes
Apart from these there are many other duties that a staff accountant might have to perform. The salary of staff accountant is also commensurate with the amount of work that the staff accountant is supposed to do. The starting salary of staff accountant is somewhere about $55,000. Along with the experience the salary of staff accountant also increases with time. After about four years of service the salary of staff accountant can be expected to reach somewhere about $80,000. One thing however that needs to be kept in mind is that it is really the efficiency in the work of the staff accountant that determines the salary of staff accountant.